A community for operations leaders in startups and scaleups.
🤔 Who are we?
Started in March 2018, we are now 500+ people with “Operations” in our titles.
We learn from each other by discussing challenges and sharing stories, experiences, and advice. Most importantly, we help each other be more effective and grow in our roles.
Ops Stories is your space to share experience and advice, ask/answer questions, grow professionally and expand your network online and offline.
🌍 Where are we?
Most of our members are in London, UK but the world is our oyster 🙂 and we reach as far as the USA, Spain, The Netherlands, Lithuania, Malaysia and Australia.
🏃Who runs Ops Stories?
We'd like to think that everyone at Ops Stories run Ops Stories 🙂. This community wouldn't be anywhere without its members and their contribution and initiatives.
Over time, Ops Stories Team grew by quite a few more people (see the full team 👨👩👧👦 here) who are equally passionate about operations and are running their own projects within Ops Stories. We also have regular Board meetings where we welcome all the community members who would like to contribute with their feedback and support.
Seeing people thrive in their roles and achieve efficiency for their companies is what motivates us all to keep giving 100% to the community and its growth. We want to keep it relevant so “quality over quantity” is our motto every step of the way.
⚙️ How does Ops Stories community work?
- We communicate over Slack (mainly) and Google Groups (occasionally).
- Our backbone are the roundtables that are facilitated by our members.
- We share any relevant notes taken during our events for future reference.
- We support our member-led initiatives. That’s how Ops Stories Book Club and Ops Stories Blog were born, and many member-led roundtables organised.
- We organise informal socials and encourage 1-2-1s to ensure that everyone gets to know each other and promote open conversations.
How can you get involved?
- If you know someone who’s already a part of Ops Stories and can vouch for you, ask them to introduce you to us.
- Otherwise, drop us a line at email@example.com briefly introducing yourself and tell us why you’d like to join Ops Stories.
- We schedule a 30-minute chat with everyone who’s looking to join our community. It’s an opportunity for you to ask us any questions you might have, and for us to learn more about you, your role and current challenges, as well as why you wish to join our community and what you can contribute to it.
- You can also follow us on LinkedIn (we mostly share our members’ content) and read our blog.
🙏 Big thanks
Finally, we want to give a big shout out to COO Stories, the first Stories community started by Kelsey Traher and Ben Gateley back in 2015. Their support has allowed Ops Stories to get to where we are now. 🤗
Also, Ops Stories certainly wouldn’t be what it is without our members. 🎉 They inspire us as organisers to do better, push forward, and grow in the best way possible. Seeing that Ops Stories is an asset in their professional development is all we need to keep going.
Ops Stories Team:
Organisers: Aušrinė Keršanskaitė & Astrid Verstraete Monthly Roundup: Marianne Pearson, Ilaria Barbon, Krishna Halai, Sarah Touzani Book Club: Laura Parker Blog: Penny Penati Annual Compensation Survey: Alex D'Annunzio, Laura Parker, Mike Strange Project 121: Laura Reid & Mike Strange US Chapter: Mai Hong
We are part of Stories (communities of people in startups and tech 💪)
Ops Stories community is invite-only. We are growing via referrals and recommendations. Introductions are very welcome 🤗
👁️🗨️ What can you expect from Ops Stories?
- You will connect with other ops people in startups and scaleups who are just like you.
- Your initiatives and involvement will always be welcome and encouraged.
- Our vibe is friendly and informal. This is no place for big egos!
- You'll get all the support from the community to help you grow as a leader and operations professional.
- You'll be able to offer your support and knowledge and know that your input will be really valued 🙂
👀 What do we expect from our members?
Ops Stories members make the community greater than the sum of its parts when they actively engage in conversation and help each other!
- Attend the occasional social. Getting to know the other members will allow you to get more out of the community on a personal and professional level.
- Suggest a roundtable topic. Each conversation is beneficial to all of our members. Don’t be shy and speak up, we’ll help you organise it. You don’t need to be the subject expert, just bring the questions to fuel the conversation.
- Connect with people. Set up a 1-2-1 to discuss common challenges.
- Respect each other. Everyone is at a different stage of their ops career, but no question is more or less valuable. Sharing knowledge and paying it forward is how we can make ops shine in all companies, not just our own.
- Commit to being part of this community.
- Value that you’re a part of a group of likeminded people.
- Don’t forget to give back.
- Don’t indulge in self-promotion.
- Remember: what happens in Ops Stories, stays in Ops Stories 😎