Thank you for agreeing to host an Ops Stories Book Club! 🎉 All you need is below and the Ops Stories Team are always around to support you or answer any questions.
The Role of the Host
- Some light organising ahead of and after the book-club (see below)
- Facilitate discussion for the group around the topic of the book.
- Bring quieter attendees into the discussion and kickstart any lulls in conversation with some pre-prepped talking points.
- Enjoy! 😉
So, I agreed to host a book club. What happens now?
- Laura will be in touch to agree which month you will be hosting.
- You then need to confirm to Laura:
- The book
- The exact date
- Morning or evening
- The VC (video call) details
- Share why you have picked this book and why others should read it and join.
- There is a template included below if needed.
- It is best to send this out ASAP to give people enough time to sign up, buy and read the book.
Top Tips for Hosting a Book Club
- There is no 'right' way to host an Ops Stories Book Club, each one is different with the host putting their own style on it.
- It is helpful to think of some questions related to the book to help kickstart conversations. You may want to send these around to attendees beforehand or just have them to hand during the session.
- Some hosts like to put a little more structure around the book clubs and run them more like a workshop with slides and themes for discussion. This can work really well. For example:
- The conversation may drift onto topics not directly related to the book, this is fine. It is up to you if you are happy for conversation to flow anywhere or if you want to bring it back to the topics of the book.
18:30 - 18:35 - Get everyone organised (you might want to split into 2 groups if there are more than 6 people) 18:35 - 18:45 - Host introduces themself, the book club and the ground rules. Everyone introduces themselves (1 sentence) and a book-related statement (why they picked up the book, what they wanted to get out of the book, a particular point they want to discuss today) 18:45 - 19:55 - General discussion around the theme of the book. 19:55 - 20:00 - Summary of discussion (can be a host summary or everyone states their key takeaway or action they are committing to). Thank yous and feedback reminder.